Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Homeless Man

I think this nation's homeless are some of the most fascinating and interesting people in the culture. They have stories and dramas and insights that few mainstream folks could even imagine. This man, in Santa Fe, New Mexico struck me when I saw him in the Plaza. He had a solid dignity about himself and an odd intensity, as if he were focused on observing all the conventionality around him. His dirty white beard, camouflage jacket and old beanie hat seemed more graceful shelter against the elements than most of the newer clothes I have worn in my life. I wondered what his story might be, but I never asked. Upon reflection of this photo some time later I realized I had felt somehow intimidated by his presence, an affect few men have on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment